Coming forth with the third single of his highly anticipated ‘Saga’ album, John Dahlbäck has once again blown us away. As it marks another highlight of his already glorious career, a bunch of questions popped up in regard to his career, his music, and the things, songs, or artists that inspire him the most. All in all, a great opportunity to ‘Count To Ten’ with John Dahlbäck.
ONE… sentence to describe your brand new single ‘Count To Ten’…
1. It’s a fresh and out-of-the-box sounding banger for any environment!
TWO… things we shouldn’t look past when it comes to your forthcoming album ‘Saga’…
1. How I did something without being influenced by trends.
2. The musicality of the album.
THREE… of the most memorable moments in your career so far…
1. Walking up to the Tomorrowland main stage and DJ for the first time, in 2009 I think. It was so huge!
2. Seeing an underground track like ‘Blink’ make it to radio!
3. Last, but not least, to overlook any sort of trends or comments from people and making an album that I’m so proud of!
FOUR… characteristics that any producer or DJ should possess in order to achieve great success…
1. Smile! You don’t have to be a clown while DJ’ing, but show people that you’re enjoying it.
2. Think outside of the box when you make music to be original.
3. Be funny, because that will help your social media platforms.
4. Have patience, because nothing will come straight away.
FIVE… countries you still dream of performing in for the remainder of your career…
1. Australia, because I love playing in front of that beautiful crowd!
2. U.S.A., because I just love being there.
3. Sweden, because it’s nice to play at home turf.
4. Ibiza, because I love the island!
5. Asia, because of the great people.
SIX… things still waiting to be crossed off of your musical bucket list…
1. Make music for a video game.
2. Make music for a movie.
3. Do a collaboration with someone outside the EDM world.
4. Remix Coldplay.
5. Make a beatless album.
6. Switch to Mac from PC.
SEVEN… ways to trigger the bursts of inspiration needed for producing those solid tunes…
1. Play around with synths
3. Listening to other genres
4. Get new plugins for the computer
5. Sampling old songs
7. Play around with different drum beats
EIGHT… pieces of (studio) equipment you couldn’t live without…
5. Various old school sample packs
6. MIDI keyboard.
7. Snus (Swedish tobacco)
NINE… artists that you’d love to collaborate with in the near future…
3. Dr. Dre
7. Fat Boy Slim
8. Joni Mitchell
9. Elvis Presley
TEN… records that have inspired you the most…
1. The Persuader – Stockholm
2. Ian Pooley – Since Then
3. Daft Punk – Homework
4. Wu Tang Clan – Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
5. Miles Davis – Miles Ahead
6. Cassius – 1999
7. Marvin Gaye – Love Songs: Bedroom Ballads
8. Fläsket Brinner – Fläsket Brinner
9. Pat Metheny – Secret Story
10. Joni Mitchell – Both Sides Now